Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day One of NaNoWriMo

It's the first day of National Novel Writing Month and I have exceeded by daily quota of 1667 words by a whopping 38 words. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but to me, that's a miracle. In all my life I have never written 1705 in one day.

The ideas are just flowing from my pin like frappuccino. I think this is going to be a good story and a great learning experience for me. Tomorrow I'm going to try to write between 2000 and 3000 words. I may be pushing my luck but I'm going to put forth my best effort.

Here's the synopsis and a short exerpt...

Synopsis: Wrongfully Accused
Shannon Heard is accused of killing her four year's father and she has hired private investigator, Sassy Johnson, to find the real killer and clear her name.

Excerpt: Wrongfully Accused
“Why didn’t you invite the officer in?”

“He had on a uniform but he hadn’t shown me his badge, for all I knew he could have been a police officer impersonator.”

“Come on, Ms. Heard, if you really thought that, you wouldn’t have opened the door let alone gone outside to talk to him, if you thought he wasn’t a real officer.”

“Well…I didn’t invite him in because the house was dirty.”

“What do you mean dirty? Like drugs or something?”

“No nothing like that, I mean messy. My housekeeper only comes once a week and in between time my house looks a mess. I don’t like people to come over when it’s not tidy. Not even Pearce,” she pats his hand and he whispers that he understands, but I ask the question that I’m sure he’s asked or at least wanted to.

“Why don’t you ‘tidy’ it yourself?”

“It’s not that simple. I work a full-time job, I go to school twice a week, I have to run errands, and I have to tend to Nedra. She’s four and she is a hand full. It’s just so hard to find the time or the energy to keep the house clean. I hate doing dishes and folding laundry. I can cook more often since I have someone else to clean my kitchen. Kadijah does everything I hate doing when she comes on Thursdays. I love her. She never complains, at least not where I can hear,” Ms. Heard giggles.

This woman is accused of murder and she’s in here laughing, boy, and this is the type of person that demands that I file and pay my taxes every year. No wonder the government is screwed up. “So, Ms. Heard, can I assume that Mr. Bendele’s body was in this big bag that was at the curb in front of your house?”


As you can see, I took a few tips from J A Konrath and Janet Evanovich by adding a little humor to the story. I think is going to be really good. I can't wait to see what my characters do tomorrow.

No comments: