Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Day 17 of NaNoWriMo

Work was better today. It felt like I was pulling teeth instead of having my teeth pulled. I tried to think about my novel while I was in a meeting that I really didn’t want to be in. Yesterday’s word count was nowhere near what it should have been, so I wrote notes about what I could do to boost my word count today.

After we were finally dismissed from the meeting I checked my email and ran across and email from the Procrastinating Writer that states that sometimes we have trouble writing because we are trying to be perfect. She helped me realize that it’s alright for my first draft to be all willy-nilly because I can fix it later. My problem is that I have already solved my crime but I am only a little over halfway to the 50,000 word goal. So, what I think I need to do is come up with some scenes that give a little more details about the main characters and the other people that are important to the story. Some flashbacks that explain why my protagonist acts the way she acts may be good.

I had to work on a short essay on the importance of mathematics for my algebra class so I won’t be able to work on the novel until later. My notebook and voice recorder will come in handy for catching my loose thoughts.

I knew that writing a novel would be a lot of work because I’ve started and stopped a number of books but this is the first time that I have truly committed to finishing one. And I am going to finish. I just have to come up with some more material so I can make my book the type of book that I would want to read.

Good luck to my fellow NaNoers!!

Word Count
25,885/50,000

No comments: