Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 15 of NaNoWriMo

I was able to write 929 words while I was at my dad’s house. My characters have really developed a mind of their own. My protagonist and both of my antagonists are doing so many things that I hadn’t planned.
After a trip to the bookstore, an hour spent on the phone talking to my best friend, and playing with my son; I made it to 1,824 words. Yippee!! I’m over the halfway mark. I told my friend about my book and she’s already volunteered to proofread my first draft.

Excerpt
“So, um, why was Joshua…Abdul killed?”

“Because of her,” Kadijah said pointing to Shannon.

“It wasn’t my fault. How was I supposed to know he was married?”

“Did you ask him? Do you always just screw guys without asking questions?”

“Well, he had his own place. How many married couples live in two different places?”

“Whatever, but he knew our arrangement. He already had two women, why did he need another one. A butterball that doesn’t know how to pick up after herself.”

“A butterball? I got your butterball. You black, African, b…”

“You shut up right now,” Kadijah said pulling a gun from inside her jacket and putting it up to the side of Shannon’s head.

Shannon didn’t say anything. I hoped that her tweets would start paying off soon. Someone was bound to get killed in there pretty soon and I was hoping that the killing could be prolonged indefinitely. Kadijah turned her attention back to me. Mr. Muhammad had two wives, two baby mama’s and who knew how many other women. For a guy that didn’t know how to use his you know what, why did all of these women want him? A dirty thought came to mind but I tried my best to suppress it. It was nasty to think of a dead man’s head between the legs of hundreds of women.

“So what are you going to do, Ms. Detective? Are you ready to start making some real money?”

“Can I get a little time to think about it? A week or two maybe?”

“You have an hour. If you do not give me the answer that I want, I will not be happy. You’ve seen what happens when I’m not happy.”

I thought about the pictures of Mr. Muhammad’s body and I shuddered. We had to get out of there but I had no gun and I didn’t stand a chance if I had tried to make a run for it with a cast on my leg.

“Kadi, did you forget about that appointment we have? It’s time for us to go.”

“Okay. You, make sure you keep an eye on these two. And don’t you try any funny stuff because we will find out,” Kadijah said to Shannon. My heart almost stopped when she reached in Shannon’s pocket and pulled out her cell phone. She pressed buttons but the screen did not light up. Shannon had been tweeting her butt off so the battery was probably dead. Kadijah figured the battery was down too so she put the phone back in Shannon’s pocket.

“We’ll be back,” Peaches said as she and Kadijah walked towards the front door. Kadijah hit her on the arm. “I’ve always wanted to say that. You make me sick.” Then they walked out, closing the door behind them.


I don’t know how I keep coming up with this stuff, but everyday something different comes to mind. I’m loving it!!

Word Count
25,182/50,000

No comments: