Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 24 of NaNoWriMo

I took most of the ideas that I had written down over the last two days and tried to come up with a few scenes that would push my storyline along. Even though I’m moving at a snail’s pace when it comes to getting to the 50,000 word goal, I’m happy to still be in the race. Today’s word count was only 919 but I have added yet another turn to my plot which is a very good thing.
If I can push out a few words on my lunch break tomorrow, maybe I’ll be halfway caught up. Thanksgiving will definitely not be a free day, I’ve had too many of those as it is. Got to keep going.

Excerpt
“Hinniyah, what’s going on in there?” She didn’t answer. “Hey boyfriend, if you hurt my little sister I’m going to skin your girlfriend alive right in front of you. Then I’m going to cut your balls out of the sac and hang them around your neck on a string.”

Kadijah had really gotten violent over the last few weeks. I guess jail did that to you. Of course since she killed her own husband, it may have been there all along. Kadijah made me get up from where I sat on the floor. I led her down the hall to the bedroom her gun was in the middle of my back. When we walked into the room, Hinniyah was lying on the floor at the foot of bed, with her face in the carpet. When I saw Jerry lying across the bed with a knife in his chest up near his shoulder, I ran to him, not caring if Kadijah shot me.

“Are you okay, sweetie?”

“Sure, just a little uncomfortable.”

I looked around to see where Kadijah was; she had put the gun down and was leaning beside Hinniyah. She picked up her sister and hugged her. Jerry had shot Hinniyah with her own gun; it was on the bed beside him. I grabbed it and got up slowly. Kadijah held Hinniyah in her arms as she rocked. She was humming and crying.

“Kadijah, we’ve got to get them to the hospital.”

She ignored me and continued to rock and hum. I grabbed the phone from the nightstand and dialed 911, I said that we needed the police and an ambulance and hung up. The operator had a bunch of questions to ask but I didn’t have a bunch of patience to deal with it. They would send help anyway, I could explain later. I couldn’t stand seeing the knife in Jerry’s chest but I knew if I tried to pull it out that would have done more damage than good.

“Stay with me, baby. You owe me a wedding and I’m going to hold you to it.”

“I’m a man of my word, you know that.”

Kadijah laid her sister’s head onto the floor and grabbed her gun. I was up, pointing my gun to her head before she had the gun cocked.

“Drop it!” She hesitated. “Now, unless you want to join your sister in heaven.”

Kadijah threw the gun down then she lunged at me, knocking her sister’s gun out of my hand. She punched me in the face, nearly pushing my nose in. I became dizzy with pain so it didn’t matter much when I head bumped her with my forehead and punched her in the eye. Kadijah fell over and I jumped on top of her and just punched her over and over until my hands began to hurt. I was so tired that I wanted to lie down myself. Even though the police station and the hospital were right around the corner they were taking their time getting there so I had to get out of the apartment to see if I could get some help. I was so lightheaded, didn’t trust my legs to get me to the front door, so I crawled on my hands and knees. It felt like hours before I got to the door. I heard movement in the bedroom but I figured I would be out the door by the time, Kadijah got up. The doorknob was my leverage to stand up. Thank God the keys were still in the door, so I turned the knob and opened the door.

“Going somewhere?” I heard from behind me. I turned and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. It was Hinniyah. She was very much alive and she was pointing a gun at me.


Word Count
33,136/50,000

No comments: