Friday, November 6, 2009

Day 6 of NaNoWriMo

I got up at 6:30 this morning. My brain allowed me to come up with 654 words before sleep settled over me again.

Halfway through my nap, my sitter called to say that she was coming to pick D up. I had to hurry to get his belongings together. Once she had picked him up and left, I allowed myself fifteen minutes to get a power nap, so I hopped back in the bed until 8:30.

Last night's outting was the inspiration behind today's word count. I generated 482 words before getting dressed for work. Then decided that I would email the work in progress to my work email so I could add to it whenever I got a break.

It was no big surprise that I never got a chance to work on my novel while I was at work.

When I got home, I wrote another 804. Here's an exert from today's writing:

There was a note taped to my front door when I got home. I opened it and read: “You will not continue to ignore me.” Was that supposed to be a threat? That damn Carl, I wouldn’t help him after that little stunt for all the rice in Hong Kong. I had a funny feeling when I walked into my apartment. My gun was in a shoe box under the couch, so listened for any type of movement as I made my way over to retrieve it. With gun in hand, I slowly walked down the hall to the kitchen and flipped the light on. I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, so I walked on to the bathroom. I walked over to the tub and pulled back the shower curtain, nothing there.

When I reached the bedroom, I took a deep breath and turned on the light. There was Jerry, lying in the bed, sleeping like the dead. I walked over to the bed and poked him in the side, he grunted and rolled over. There was no sign that he was hurt or anything so, walked back to the door and turned out the light before closing the door behind me.

All of that excitement had made me want a drink. I had no gin but I’m sure there was orange juice in the fridge. When I opened the door, the most horrible thing looked out at me. Since I was a Halloween baby, I wasn’t easily scared, but seeing a dead cat sitting on top of the sliced turkey wasn’t a nice thing to look at. I pulled a plastic grocery bag out of one of the drawers and put it over my hand then and I picked up the cat and all of the food it could have touched. Everything was then stuffed into a 10 gallon garbage bag and dropped on the floor in front of the sink.

It feels good to have the first 10,000 behind me. Congrats to my fellow NaNoers who've made it to this point and beyond. We have to keep it moving.

Word Count
10,284/50,000

No comments: