Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Would You Be a Stay At Home Mom or Dad?

babysittersnow.com
My friend at work often talks about how she wishes her boyfriend had a better paying job so she could be a stay at home mom. I asked her what she would do all day, she said she would open a home daycare.  I told her I admired her because I can barely deal with my son and baby sister, so I know I won't be able to deal with a whole bunch of children.  She said she loved kids. She also said that she would make them take a lot of naps. That made me laugh out loud.

Now that isn't exactly being a stay at home mom to me. That's having a home business.  If I'm wrong, set a sister straight okay? Good.
smallinternetlifestyle.com
My definition of a stay at home mom is a mother that gets her children and husband ready for their day at work and school.  She cleans and cooks most days and she may work in the garden or go shopping. (Of course, I know women that barely do any of these things on a daily basis but I guess this is what the job description entails.) Now if that's all I had to do, I would go stir crazy.

I've been working for 20 years and within that time, there was only two periods of time when I did not work. The first time was when I had surgery for some lady problems, the second time being when I had my son. While I was healing from my surgery, I was taking college classes.  I only went to the campus once a week to take tests.  After I had my son, I was at home doing resumes for people and fixing computers.

momcomlife.com
So, I said all that to say this--I don't know how to sit around and be idle. Even when I'm on vacation (stay-cation), I'm working on a crochet order from one of my customers or attempting to improve my writing skills.

Could you be a stay at home parent? If you are what do you do everyday?  Do you get bored?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey SQ--
I am a happy Stay At Home Mama, and it's the most demanding but wonderful job I've ever had! I homeschool my 1st and 3rd grader, eventually I'll school all 4... I clean, cook, and strive to create a peaceful, loving home. I totally respect and admire you working mothers out there too-- we all do what works best for our families! <3
Have a great day!
Nichole Blakemore

Susie McCray said...

You're right Nichole, doing what works best for our families is very important. Now homeschooling is definitely a job in itself. Good luck to you and yours.