Sunday, November 3, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 ~ Day 3

Despite having to feed the kid, do laundry, and help a friend start her car, I was able to write 2,203 words today.  I'm really feeling good about that.  My total word count to date is 5,624. According to NaNoWriMo.org, if I continue at this rate I will reach my 50,000 words by November 28th. Which is great but I think I'm going to aim for November 20th.

Here's an excerpt from today's writing:
 Cars, trucks and SUVs littered the river front parking lot. I had to come up with a way to talk to some people without tapping on windows finding them in various stages of undress. I found a nice empty spot in the middle of the parking lot. A search through my music garnered the perfect party song. ‘Everybody get up….’ I turned the volume up as high as I has I could.  People started getting out of their cars a few at a time trying to see what was going on. ‘If you can’t hear what I’m trying to say…” I got out of the car and went around and opened my trunk.  Young people liked fancy shiny cars so many of them came over to check out the Corvette. ‘Okay now he was close, tried to domesticate you…”  I handed out beers as they walked up. It was strange how some people just took what people gave them without question. Most people liked free stuff. A few girls were dancing and a very tall guy was checking out my car, eyeing me occasionally.
                “Where you get this car from?” He kind of had a LeBron James look about him with the headband and everything.
                “The dealership,” I answered, holding a beer out to him.
                “Not my brand,” he said walking by me to the other side of the car.
                “You want to sell it?”
                “Uh no.  Hey how old are you?”
                “Old enough,” he said walking getting closer to me, invading my personal space.
                “Back off tiger, I’m too good for you,” I said pushing him away. “I was wondering if you knew this guy.” 
He took the picture from me and examined it. “He looks familiar. Yeah, that’s DL. My football team and theirs are rivals.”
                “Have you seen him recently?”
                “Naw, but I saw his girl, with her fine ass.” He kind of mumbled that last part under his breath.
 I held back a smile. I took the picture from him and gave him my card. “Give me a call if you see either one of them. Danny’s folks are looking for him.”
                “His folks?” ‘LeBron’ looked kind of confused. “I heard his mama-nem were dead.”
                “His adoptive family.”
                “Oh yeah, Cruella De Ville.”
A giggle did escape my lips after that statement. That’s who old girl reminded me of. “He hasn’t been home in a few days and the mother, Mrs. Long, has been in the hospital ever since.” I closed the empty cooler and let the trunk down. I heard a few grumbles from the crowd. “I can’t hang out with yall all night. It’s my naptime.”
                “Can I go home with you?” ‘LeBron’ asked.
                “No sir. You’re not worth me going to jail for.”
                “I won’t tell if you won’t,” The crowd fist pumped and cheered.
I smiled and got in my car. “Maybe in a few years.”
“My 18th birthday next month,” He yelled as I was driving away. “I’ll give you a call, you know, if I see DL.” I waved and sped off. 

No comments: