Monday, November 11, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 ~ Day 11

Happy Veteran's Day!! Yeah, I'm kind of late but better late than never. Anyway...

Today I wrote 1721 words.  If the kids did not get the same off day I could have easily written over 3000, maybe.  As of now, my total word count is 18577.  I can't believe I am so close to the mid point but I guess that's about right.  Almost time for the climax of the story.  Got a couple ideas for it but I'm sure I will be able to choose by the time I make it to 25000.

 Enough gibberish, give the people what they want--Excerpt please.

It was raining Jews and Gentiles Saturday morning.  I didn’t even go to Jerry’s funeral last year, I just couldn’t deal with all of the sad faces.  So Mrs. Long’s funeral was just like I imagined Jerry’s had been, if not worse.  Jason asked if I wanted him to go and I told him no.  Mrs. Alma demanded to go so I had no choice unless I wanted to start filing my own paperwork again. 

We sat in the back of the church.  I felt like running out the door but I held my composure because I didn’t want to leave without checking on Danny. 

When the service was over, it looked as if Cruela attempted to put her arms around Danny, but he backed away.  Black beard, Craig according to the obituary, grabbed Danny’s arm and said something that didn’t sit very well with my young friend.  I wasn’t surprised to see Danny immediately walk my way.

                “Thank you for coming.  I’ve got to get out of here before someone else ends up in a box.”
                “I understand how you feel.  Do you need anything?”
                “Just do what I asked you to do.  That’s all I need.”

Danny hugged me and walked out.  I caught Craig’s eye, he tapped his mom’s shoulder and gestured towards me.  Mrs. Alma waved and I blew them a kiss.  I think I saw fire and smoke coming out of their heads.  Mrs. Alma grabbed my hand, “Come on let’s get out of here.  White folks crazy.”

Unlike my secretary, I did not think all Caucasian people were crazy. Mrs. Long was very sweet and Mr. Hammer senior seemed to have had a good heart to look after his illegitimate child.  And Johnny Depp was beautiful, but I digress.

When I dropped Mrs. Alma off she asked if I wanted to come in for a while.  I was tempted until saw her daughter Paris walking down the porch steps.  I had already said we would get together in a couple of days to work on the bridesmaid dress; I still was psyching myself up for that meeting.

                “No thanks. I think I need to be alone for a while.” She looked at me and I already knew what that look meant before she said anything.
                “It wasn’t your fault.  I know it’s hard but you’re gonna have to move on.”
                “Yes ma’am, I’m trying to.”
                “That young man needs to step his game up.”  I burst out laughing.

My apartment was nice and cool when I walked in.  I was happy that I had forgotten to turn the air off before I left.  I kicked off the heels, and the other lady like garments followed.  I sat on the side of my bed, naked as the day I was born, and began to cry.  That was my second time crying in two weeks and it was really getting on my nerves but I couldn’t make it stop.  I took a quick shower and put on a muu muu.  The green light on my phone blinked continuously.  Jason wanted to know if I was okay. Aunt Essie wanted to know when I was coming to see her. Mother wanted to know why I didn’t buy her anything at the mall.  Melodye wanted to know why I never wanted to go on shopping sprees when she was around.  Marcus had called to see what I needed help with.  I laughed to myself.  All those people were vying for my attention but the one person I wanted was dead and gone and he got more attention than any of them.  I wondered if I needed to see a therapist.

                “Ha, that’s for crazy folks,” I said heading to the fridge to see what the drink of the night would be.  I chose the oldie but goodie—Crown and Coke.

I didn’t feel like cooking so I made a bologna sandwich with two slices of meat, mustard, lettuce, tomato and a few slices of pickle.  I poured myself a big cup of water as well.  Since I planned to go to bed soon, I took my goodies to my room and put them on the night stand. After a couple of hours of eating, drinking and watching the Oxygen channel I was too through.

No headache Sunday morning but I definitely had a crick in my neck from sleeping sitting up instead of lying down like I had some sense.  I had forgotten to call everyone back but Mrs. Alma called before I could decide who to contact first.

                “I was getting ready for church so I decided that I would check on the sick and shut-in.”
                “I’m good, thanks for caring.”
                “I was gonna ask have you been drinking but I don’t believe in asking stupid questions.  Have a blessed day.”

She hung up before I could respond, so I texted Jason to let him know I was fine and that he could come over whenever he got time.  Then I texted Melodye and told her the shopping was spur of the moment but that we could hang out whenever she wanted.  She could even bring her boo.  I also told her to remind Mother that I had bought her all kind of stuff for Mother’s Day.  Jason texted saying that he would be over in an hour, so I knew I didn’t have long to get rid of my funkiness.  I decided that I would wait until Monday to call Marcus back.  I would see if Jason wanted to meet my aunt before I called Aunt Essie. 

I was squeaky clean when Jason knocked on the door.  He looked at me up and down and smiled.  I guess he liked the outfit that I had on.  With everything that had been going on I had just gotten around to wearing some of the things Harmonye helped me pick out.

                “You look good.”
                “Thanks.  What did you want to do today?”
                “No plans, do you have something in mind?”
                “Would you like to meet my aunt?  If it weren’t for her we would have never met.”
                “I would love to meet her but does this mean…”
                “One day at a time sweetie.”
                “Yes, ma’am,” he saluted me.  I laughed and punched him in the shoulder and he howled like a sick dog.  One of my neighbors looked out to see what was going on.  I waved at her before Jason and I headed down the stairs. 

I called Auntie Essie before we headed her way just in case she was gone. 
                “Hello darling.  It’s about time I heard from you.  How is everything?”
                “I’m good Professor.  If you’re up for some company, I’m headed your way.”
                “You’re always welcomed darling, you know that.”
                “There’s someone I want you to meet.  You kind of fixed us up.”
                “Fixed you up? Darling you know I detest blind dates and I would never set you up on one.”
                “He was my computer repair guy.  He’s awesome.”
                “I would imagine he would have to be to have gotten your attention.  Well, he’s quite welcomed as well darling.”
                “See you in a few.”

I put up a thumbs up to Jason and he smiled, then he grabbed my hand and put one of my fingers in his mouth. “Tasty.”

                “Boy don’t you start nothing.”



No comments: