Saturday, July 5, 2008

That Sounds Like Heaven

I was always reluctant to get into leadership roles but my pops always taught me that if I was a floor mopper, I should strive to be the best mopper there is. And if I could, be the head floor mopper, which is what I've always tried to do. But this has been a very daunting tasks when the people below me don't do what they are supposed to do, and when my manager is breathing down my neck because something was incorrect or not done at all.

I'm at the point now where I want to be just a regular employee. I don't want to have to worry about reports, reviews, inputting timesheets, answering questions, going to dumb meetings, and teaching unproductive training classes (because the people are still gonna do the same thing they've always done). Being responsible for my inventory only sounds like heaven. I want to be able to go to work in the morning and get off at a descent time. I want to be able to go to poetry readings to perfect my spoken-word abilities so I can make the next collection twice as good. My novel will be finished by the end of the year if I stop worrying about folks on my "day job".

I am a writer, a poet, and a crafter. I should not be in a place that stifles my creativity. Independence Day was yesterday and I can't help but to think about being freed from my corporate prison. One day ... I will escape.

No comments: