Sunday, January 30, 2011

Color-treated Natural Hair

I read a blog post a couple of weeks ago where this woman talked about all the things she would never do to her hair. The main thing that she said she would never do that stuck out to me was color. She said that she would never color her hair, say blond, because none of her ancestors had blond hair. I found that kind of funny because almost every African American in the United States has some white ancestors whether it was the slave owner that crept into the bed with great-great-great-great-grandmother or there was a “real” interracial couple on the family tree.

Anyway…

I’ve been coloring my hair since I was in the 9th grade, because hey, I was sick of my two-tone hair. Of course when I did it, I didn’t think that I would have to color it so often to keep it from being chemically two-toned. Over the last six or seven years my reason for coloring my hair has changed, it’s because I have a whole lot of gray hair. At first it was just one string here and there, now every week I spot two or ten more.

I love changing my hair color, even though I try not to do it too often. The main colors I rock besides black or dark brown are honey blond and red. My hair has been honey blond for almost a year so now I’m itching to get some red. I’m going to have a red afro, cool. I think it’s going to look great but if I don’t like it, I may end up wearing a wig for a while until I feel comfortable putting a rinse in it to tone it down until either the color grows out or I get sick of it and cut it off. I’m hoping it doesn’t get to that point but I’m prepared for whatever happens.

In my recent video, I do address my hair color but the main objective is getting my hair straight. Check it out and let me know what you think. Advice or recommendations are welcome as well.

No comments: