Friday, November 12, 2010

Day 12 What's really going on?

Last November 12th, I was at a little over 20,000 words. This year, I'm at 13,937. (Shaking my head)

It was my intention to share my daily word count and my life happenings throughout the month of November, but have fallen short because I have been ashamed of my paltry word count.

This year's NaNoWriMo has been really hectic for me. I anticipated this going in, but I was and still am determined to participate and win this competition.

When the month began, I had numerous computer problems, but thank God and all of the angels that I was able to get a new one. Of course now my problem is either not having the time, energy, or ideas to put anything on paper. Kind of crazy all the way around, right?

The last few days, I have had all kinds of off days to catch up on my word count. I have been kinda slacking, but don't slap my hand because the free time isn't over just yet. With three weekends and one more holiday between now and November 30, I should be flying across the finishline like my pants are on fire.

According to the NaNoWriMo website, I would have to write 2007 words a day from now on to finish on time. If I continue at the average words per day that I'm shooting out (1162), I won't finish until December 14. This to me is losing. Losing is not an option, so 2000+ a day is what I'm going to have to push out.

If you're having issues, please share how you are handling them.

If you are on or ahead of schedule, please provide a few pointers for the rest of us.

But no matter what...

Happy NaNo-ing!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am struggling through this 2nd week too. I just keep going a a little every day, knowing if I make it to week 3, I will be OK.
I started out w/ a 2000 word/day goal and wrote a bunch week 1. So now in the slump, I am slacking but still keeping up. My real goal this year is to make myself get in a habit of writing every day and so far I have. Some days more than others. But I still have to get through my son's bday weekend and a Thanksgiving trip to Ohio so... :)
I use some motivators like Write or Die and my wordcount widget which shows if I wrote each day. Good luck!

Susie McCray said...

@janflora
Thanks for stopping by. I keep forgetting about Write or Die. I've got to grab that app tonight.

I'm hoping to start and stick with the habit of writing everyday. I haven't written much of anything since last November which why I'm having such a hard time.

Even with Thanksgiving coming, I don't anticipate a lot of things taking away from my writing time. I'm the only thing standing in my way.

Victoria Mixon said...

Susie, 2,000/day is not too hard. That's what I'm doing, and it's not even for NaNoWriMo. I have to write a book for my son as his annual Solstice present---I do this to myself every year. In fact, I'm upping it to 3,000/day today because of extenuating circumstances.

Take a day to outline all the scenes for your novel. Seriously. A whole day.

Then write 1,000 words of each scene in the morning and 1,000 in the evening before you sign off work for the day. That's four pages morning & evening.

As Steinbeck said, stick with the details and just get through your pages every day.

You can do it. I know you can.

Susie McCray said...

@VictoriaMixon
Thank you so much for stopping by.

I had tried to outline in October but I didn't get very far. Maybe at this point I will be able to write a workable outline.