Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 20 of NaNoWriMo

When I was growing up, the neighborhood we lived in was full of gossiping, backbiting, backstabbing women. Mama and grandmama told me that ignorant folks always kept up mess. They also said when a bunch of women got together there was bound to be a catfight. The first few jobs that I had were in restaurants and warehouses, I was even a security guard for almost a year. In those jobs, the number of men and women was nearly 50/50. Once I began working at my current job, whose staff is probably 90% female, I hoped that I wouldn’t have any problems with any of the “educated” women. Humph, have you heard the saying, “Mama said there’d be days like this.” That statement has become the mantra of my life.

I’ve said all of that to say this, I wish there was more trust between the employees and managers. Managers not trusting the judgment of their employees, employees having to go behind management’s back to get things done; it’s all so chaotic. I know that there are a lot of people out there that wish they had a job, drama or not, but it’s wearing on me, has been for a long time. The day that I start making a living from my writing will be a weight off my shoulders. In order to get the wheels rolling, of course, I need to at least finish this novel.

I began on today’s word count after 8:30 pm. By 9:25, I had only written 70 words. I couldn’t concentrate because my son wanted to play. It didn’t look like he was going to go to sleep anytime soon. The morning is a much better time for me to write but I’m going to have to stop being so lazy and get up instead of pushing snooze over and over again. At 10:14 I was at 245, the writing was not going as well as it should have been. I decided to go to bed and try again in the morning.

Word Count
28,215/50,000

No comments: