Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 14 of NaNoWriMo

My dad watched D while I attended a tax preparers class. They were showing us how to maneuver through the software (Tax Wise) that we will be using at the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) sites next tax season. There is also a class that I have to take online to be a certified tax preparer but I have until January to complete that.

Once I returned to Daddy’s house, I did get a chance to write 244 words. I drove around until D fell asleep in the car, then I went home. I saw that the maintenance guys had not been to the house to finish their repairs so I called my landlady to let her know what was going on. She said that she would send her guy a text message and as soon as I had taken off my work/school clothes, so I could get comfortable, I heard the guys on the front porch. So I rushed to put on my handout dress so I could let them in.

I was kind of disgusted because all they did was paint over the molded spots on the wall in my office, but they still did not fix the rotten panel that had fallen out of the makeshift window unit “hole” in the wall. They will have to be back Monday.
My landlady said that I could keep part of the rent to replace my items but I’m not going to replace them until these guys finish playing around and complete everything on my maintenance list. I may just wait until I move, then I will feel more comfortable about it.

While D got his handsome rest, I continued writing. The smell of the paint the men had used seeped through two closed doors and was trying to put me to sleep. I had never smelled any paint like that but they said it was some special stuff that would keep the mold from coming back. I think they need to gut the house and start all over, but I’m just a tenant with plans to move, so I had no say so.

I had gotten to 804 words when I decided that I would take a little nap. Sleep did not come of course because of the chemical smell coming from the back room. I was tempted to check into a hotel room for the night but opted for using the ceiling fans in hopes of keeping the house a little more ventilated. Opening the windows would have been even better but I was afraid that I would fall asleep with them open and wake up, in the middle of the night, and find an unexpected guest helping himself to the TV.

It really feels like my life has gotten a lot more dramatic since I started writing this book. It may be that I’m paying much more attention to the things that are going on around me since I am trying to find new material for the book. I don’t know what it is but this is really doing something to me. I wonder if all writers go through this.

By 10:12 pm, I had finally made it to 2,258, which was my daily quota as well as what I lacked yesterday. I love when I get back on track. It helps me to fight the onset of writer’s bl… If you don’t say it out loud, it will not come.

Happy writing, NaNoers!!

Word Count
23,358/50,000

No comments: